Beth makes history again!!!

 AE20769
Team GB’s Beth Tweddle MBE has won BRONZE in the women’s uneven bars final; the first ever individual medal for British Gymnastics and the first medal otherwise since the 1928 Games team bronze in Amsterdam. Britain’s Kristian Thomas also finished in 8th place in the men’s vault final.

The line-up for the women’s bars final was one of the strongest ever seen, including 2008 Olympic Champion He (CHN) and the 2012 all-around Olympic Champion, Douglas (USA). He (CHN) was up first, setting a high benchmark score of 15.933. When Beth came onto the podium the arena erupted, yet she looked calm and collected. She performed an excellent routine, linking all of her difficult connections with just a step back on her dismount to score 15.916 to take the BRONZE. The eventual winner was Mustafina (RUS) who put in an almost flawless performance to take the gold with 16.133.

In the men’s vault final, Kristian Thomas performed a fantastic double piked Yurchenko for his first vault to score 16.366 but unfortunately sat down his second- the handspring double front tucked- to score an average of 15.533 and place 8th.

Beth Tweddle MBE: “It’s the best feeling in the world to win the bronze medal, there was one point today I thought I’d end in 4th like in Beijing 08, so I’m really happy. This was the one medal missing from my collection; this is the one I really wanted. I tried to keep calm and do what I do best and the crowd were amazing, as soon as I walked into the arena it was incredible. I haven’t  made any future plans yet, I definitely won’t be in Rio but I’m happy to go home now and have a bit of a holiday and get back into the gym; if my hearts in it I will continue. I had a step on my dismount but at the end of the day I had to go for the difficult dismount to challenge for a medal. To be honest I could say ‘what if’ but I’m not disappointed in the slightest, any medal, any colour is what I always said I wanted, so I’m extremely happy.”

Amanda Reddin (Beth’s coach):  “It’s been a long four years for Beth, Its all she’s wanted and I’m really happy for her. It’s all due to the fabulous support from British Gymnastics and the National Lottery and now there is only one way to go and that’s forwards. She’s the only gymnast I’ve ever worked with that’s given 100% day in day out and I’m very proud she walked through my door all those years ago.”

Comments

Popular Posts